Mean, Median, Mode, and Range Graphic Organizer Freebie

Here’s a little side note for you….. It is 5:45 on a Monday evening, and I am still in my classroom. Not necessarily because I have that much work to do but because I am waiting for my daughter to go to the school Valentine’s Day dance. She goes to the same middle school that I teach at. She is a cheerleader, and I am the cheerleading sponsor. She wanted to play tennis, they asked me to be the tennis coach. I am basically everywhere that she is. When they asked for chaperones, I said no. I felt like she needs some “non parental supervision time” away from me. I would’ve hated for my mom to be at everything that I was at. It’s not that she wants to do something bad, but just not have her mother looking over her shoulder. We live about twenty-five minutes from where we go to school, which isn’t very convenient to run home while she’s dancing…….so I decided to sit in my room and blog. I hope you enjoy this cute little idea and freebie I made. We did this today and will be doing it tomorrow also.

I love mean, median, mode, and range. The students love finding the central tendencies. They are easy to find. The only difficult thing for some of the students is remembering which is which. I’ve seen several elementary teachers make “lap books.” I had never seen nor heard of these before, so I decided I wanted to incorporate them into my classroom somehow. I made cute little cut-outs to go along with it. Here are some pictures of the finished product…..

Central Tendency Lap Book Picture #1

My reasoning in some of those titles is because I emphasize “median is in the middle” and “mode, most” to try and help them remember the differences between the four. I also had my students hole-punch one side of it so that they can put them in their math binders. Here is a look at the inside……

Central Tendency Lap Book Picture #2

Those are pockets with little tags in them on the outside flaps of the lap book, and questions on the inside. I used the tags for students to write the definitions on them. Here is a closer look at the tags…..

Click here or on the image below to get your copy of the download!

Central Tendency Cut out picture

Last school year, I made a freebie while we were reviewing mean, median, mode, and range for the state test. Click here for that link and to get that little review page.

I hope your school year is going great!! Thanks for reading!

photo MySignature-1.jpg

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
This entry was posted in Statistics and Probability. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Mean, Median, Mode, and Range Graphic Organizer Freebie

1. Krystal says:

You’re such a good mom! I’ve already thought about the whole “kid at my school” thing. We live in a small community and so I will teach my sons at some point…about 6 years away though – the oldest just started Kindergarten this year. Anyway…

I love this freebie – I’ll have to snag a copy for later in the year. We do this unit last. Thanks:)

Krystal

• Andrea Kerr says:

Krystal, thanks for the compliment. Having my daughter at school has some good and some bad. I had her in my class last year, and it posed problems more in the aspect of students wanted to tattle on her all of the time for the littlest stuff. It has hard to determine whether to discipline for it or let it go.

2. Jody Erickson says:

My sons are grown now, but I remember so well the nights waiting for activities to be done…got a lot of work done, though! :) I also remember that fine line of wanting to be there for each of them, but not wanting them to feel smothered. :) Those times go way too fast…miss them! :) Thanks so much for this activity…how cute and the kids will really enjoy it, too. Can’t wait to try it out…thanks for it AND for sharing yourself with us in so many helpful and meaningful ways! :)

• Andrea Kerr says:

Thanks Jody!! My kids are growing so fast! My daughter just reminded me that she only has one more year in middle school and then she’ll be a high schooler. It makes me so sad……

3. Allison Armstrong says:

I love this foldable and I love that you are doing this with middle school students. They need to do stuff like this too.

4. This is a great idea! Thanks for sharing. I just finished Data Management with my students but will use this next year. Your blog is great. On my blog I run Middle School and High School Blog Logs. I think your blog would be a great asset. Please consider joining.

5. Jacqueline Tabbert says:

This is such a great idea! I will be working on this area with my students next chapter and they love working on projects. I will definitely have to steal this!

6. Mariana says:

Love this idea! I like having resources that the students can have handy to refer to while working on a particular topic. I did notice that in the problem for median it says that Mrs. Kerr took a pole, and I think it should be poll ;) Thanks for making this available for free!

7. ErSOhwqZJuqY

That’s a good one… very interesting and manipulative, children like playing while learning… great tool.. thanks for sharing… I grab a copy… (Y)

8. Najda says:

Thanks so much for the freebie! Great work!

9. Teri D. says:

Thank you soooo much for this post! I saved it to print tomorrow. We start this tomorrow and I wanted to find something like this. It is perfect. I love lapbooks. I use them a lot in tutoring. Thanks again and oh, you are such a great mom!

10. Catherine says:

What did you make this foldable out of? Is it file folders? I really like it but am curious what its made out of! thanks so much!

11. Stephanie says:

What did you use to make this lap book? Any helpful information and a cheap way to make would be great! Thanks!